Personal care, or self care, is such an important thing for us to commit time to, in order to stay physically and mentally healthy. I for one know how easy it is to always put other people and other ‘jobs’ ahead of your own needs, but over time I am learning to put myself first every now and then.
But, whilst making sure we give ourselves time to relax, rejuvenate and release tension, we also need too consider the way in which we do that so that we make less of an impact on the planet.
This is very straight forward to do, no voodoo magic needed.
Have a read for info on some of my favourite products.
Some of my all-time favourite products are facial skin care items. I just love how simple it can be to save money and have a toxic free skin care routine that not only benefits myself but also supports other UK businesses and environmental issues at the same time..
If you are looking for a truly eco-friendly, plastic free, ethical and UK made skincare routine then this group of products is your best friend.
The Friendly Soap cleanser bar is an absolute staple on my soap dish, 1 bar easily lasts me 18 months and leaves my skin feeling squeaky clean without all the nasty chemicals.
The Upcircle products are made using bi-products of other industries. They are made in England by an amazing team of people who are passionate about what they do and more importantly, how they do it. The eye-cream smells good enough to eat and the cleanser and moisturiser leave your skin feeling clean and soft.
And finally, the Little Green Wood Face Wipes, handmade by the lovely Cat in York. I cannot recommend this switch enough. If you use single use face wipes or cotton rounds you may find your skin is dry, prone to break-outs and on top of that you are literally throwing money in the bin every day. These wipes could save you £90 in a single year and so your skin and bank will thank you for the switch.
Knowing about the eco alternatives available isn’t always enough to make you want to switch though, some times it’s the knowing WHY you should switch that makes the difference.
In this post I also wanted to share with you some of the facts around the disadvantages of disposable face wipes and the advantages of reusable ones.
- Wet Wipes, Baby Wipes and moist toilet tissue are blocking our sewers! They are made from synthetic fibres which do not break down, they block sewers which causes raw sewage to flood into rivers and the ocean. The number of wet wipes washed up on beaches has doubled since 2014.
- Allergic reactions and sensitivities are continually increasing due to the number of chemicals found in skincare products and in our environment. Chemicals that are found in skincare are also found in brake fluid, engine degreasers and anti-freeze that are used as industrial chemicals. These chemicals are found in disposable wipes and can dry your skin out.
- Disposable wipes are ineffective at removing make-up and dirt from your face and can actually spread it around more creating bacteria hotspots and spot prone skin.
- Reusable wipes a gentle on your skin helping to soothe and protect it whilst you are removing make-up and the day’s grime.
- Reusable wipes have a much smaller carbon footprint as they will last years and are usually made from organic materials.
- By switching to reusable wipes you are saving hundreds of single wipes or cotton rounds ending up in landfill each year.
- By switching to reusable wipes you could save up to £90 in the first year!
So there you have it! There are so many reasons pro eco skin care – you really should give it a try.
Check out my other blogs for info on eco friendly facemasks and natural deordorant.