This week’s focus is on Out and About Products. The July focus on the Eco Living Ideas page is all things related to being out and about this summer and how to try and reduce the impact we have on the environment whilst we are making some awesome memories.
Watch my eco chat in the video below or check out a rough transcript underneath.
The products we have been looking at include things like travel cups, reusable lunch boxes, sandwich wraps and snack pockets, compostable poo bags and reusable swim nappies for little ones.
Each of these things, when multiplied by millions can have a long lasting and devastating effect on our planet.
Here are some figures on those effects:
- 2.5 BILLION single use cups are still used in the UK each year
- Over 1 MILLION trees are felled each year to make single use coffee cups
- 1.5 BILLION litres of water goes into making single use cups in the UK each year
- More than 1 million seabirds and 100,000 marine animals die from plastic pollution every year.
- 100% of baby sea turtles have plastic in their stomachs.
- The world produces 381 million tonnes in plastic waste yearly – this is set to double by 2034.
- 50% of this is single-use plastic & only 9% has ever been recycled.
- Approximately 500 million plastic poo bags are used annually throughout the world.
- One plastic bag can take over 500 years to degrade in a landfill; that is if it ever fully degrades.
I appreciate that not everyone will be interested in or need to make these switches but pop me a comment below with which item you think would make the biggest difference to you.
For example, I don’t tend to drink tea or coffee on the go. If I do I make one at home in my insulated cup and take it with me. So a travel cup may not be advantageous. BUT, we own a gorgeous but very stinky Labrador and can get through 2-3 poo bags a day. So making the switch to compostable bags is going to have a huge difference in the toxic waste we produce as a family.
Tell me below which would make a difference to you or your household.
And now some reasons to switch to reusable or sustainable products…
- In general you will save money! For example, purchasing (and using) a reusable sandwich wrap could save you around £50 in just one year. Given that the wraps could last 4-5 years, it’s well worth the investment.
- The eco-alternative products tend to be much better quality. These products are made with good, strong and sustainable materials and have been made with a lot of though and love. That means that they last longer and perform better.
- You will greatly decrease your carbon footprint by choosing products which can be reused hundreds of times and/or are made from natural materials.
- You will be supporting small, independent, UK businesses if you buy from a shop like mine. All of my suppliers are other UK owned small businesses. I support them by stocking their amazing products, you support us both when you buy from me. This means that money is staying in the UK economy!
I hoping those reasons are enough for you but if you have any other reasons for making the switch, let me know.
If you want to know more about a product, a fact or figure, ask away – let’s get a conversation going!